Tuesday, April 26, 2011

First impressions...

Italian chic and this is just for the kids. Many of the children from my school will be wearing this gear out of school.

Food do I need to say any more it is better than than I could ever hope for.....But the food! Fresh and plentiful fruit, olive oil and fish. Pizza oh la in wood fired ovens and even the supermarkets stock the best fresh pasta and ravioli with spinach and ricotta. artichokes and fried cod were the local specialties of Rome.












Family... The children from my school, both girls and boys flock around a pram to admire a baby. However here is the lowest birth rate in Europe. Dogs appeared to be cherished too.
Leather and jeans, studied, expensive casual. Even on warm days people here wear jackets. My pink and red pants set me apart, denim is the only way to go, apparently.
Loads of smokers but living in 2011 is great, smoking indoors is banned.
Italy does not seem to have a single cultural identity. From the north to the south many regions lie and in particular it seems people are proud of their own food specialties.
I think the systems here are a bit antiquated for example, the post office and supermarket have queues oh so long, the train station difficult to work out how to validate your ticket - not too different to what I experienced in Cairo last year, though this could never be called a third world country.
I did not know what an absolute treat was in store for me in Rome, what an empire. Seen to be believed.
Personal space does not seem to be important. Rubbing shoulders or even an odd hit every now and then is all part of sharing the pavement.

My school is in an renovated old building with a head sculpture of Mr Giuseppe as I walk in. The 11 children are between 3 and 5 and I sing and play with them. Their names all end in an o. We play in the park, a fortified area is also known as Fortezza Nuova, built by the Florentines after the conquest of Pisa 1406.

No comments:

Post a Comment