Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Weekend in Siena and San Gimignano




Every weekend must hold some sort of adventure for me, after all I am not here that long. A weekend in Siena was just the thing, a grand medieval city with a gothic ensemble and it was a good choice for fitness as I walked endlessly, eating delicious food and ogling at the sights. The heart is the lovely scallop shaped piazza with every building in fitting, stylie architecture in an astonishing state of preservation. Apparently it is pretty prosperous thanks to tourism and to a bank founded in Siena in 1472, the cities largest employer, a major player in Italian finance sponsoring much of Sienas cultural life. Its all about the politics you see.
The Duomo was a conglomeration of black and white marble, a cathedral so over the top you had to love it. Depicting an eccentric mix to do with all sorts of themes.
The gold statue was a busker. I ate artichokes and pesto spagetti at a cute restaurant with brown paper table mats. These fellas were placed with me and a lively couple they were. An interesting discussion about regional differences ensued. I was a bit tipsy after beer, red vino and sweet dessert wine to dip my biscotti into, wonderful.

No comments:

Post a Comment